POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Waterdrops on Glass... How? : Re: Waterdrops on Glass... How? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:23:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Waterdrops on Glass... How?
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 14 Jan 2003 20:01:20
Message: <3e24b2e0$1@news.povray.org>
> Take a ray entering a droplet for example: it hits the droplet surface
> and gets refracted, and is now inside the droplet. The next surface it
> hits is the glass, so it gets refracted as it should when going from
> water to glass. It is now inside the glass and the droplet. When it hits
> the other droplet surface, *no refraction is done*, but it leaves the

I guess you meant "When it hits the other glass surface", cause it makes
no sense if it doesn't refract when exiting the water and entering air.

> droplet. (I think it still computes the texture, I'm not sure it should
> though.)

I think it should compute the texture, since if an object is transparent and
has two sides, POV's rays will be affected by each surface. That's just
the way its implemented and IMHO how I would expect it to behave. If
we'd want 100% realism, we'd probably have to texture it completely
transparent, but add some interior color, like using fade_color and
fade_power or such.

> No more so than for any other object. The difficulty is more determined
> by the object you are placing the blobs on.

You're right about that. It works pretty well for a window made of a single
box, but I'm always thinking "general", to keep things flexible.

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde